Sunday, October 12, 2008

He Says: The Dumpling King


This place was surprisingly good in my opinion. Honestly, I am not too attracted to Taiwanese food on a regular basis. Actually, who am I kidding? I HATE Taiwanese food 97% of the time. The only time I crave it is when I stumbling drunk at 4AM after dancing on the bar at- wait, that may be a bit too much, huh?? But this place might (with a stretch) be worth a "once a week" trip. We started out with those little cucumber guys (aka small food aka 小菜 aka xiao cai), which I don't particularly like, but I have to say they were incredibly edible. We ordered hot and sour soup with 10 (count em...) pork dumplings inside. Wow! With the vinegar that SHE put in, the hot and sour soup was some of the best I've tasted in Taiwan. The little bit of soup inside the dumplings made them just about right. However, the kicker...or kickers were: 1. The price. Hot and Sour soup, 1 cucumber thingee, 5 cabbage dumplings and a Coke for $180NT. Can't do better than that. 2. The people. We had to wait 5 mins for a table to clear, and even then we basically had to share our 4 person table with some others. Not bad, considering every other place around it was basically empty.









1 comment:

Eat This said...

She Says: The Dumpling King
MMM MMM MMM..just looking at those pics makes my mouth water. This restaurant is a must if your ever in Tien Mu and wanting some cheap and great Chinese food. I definitely agree with my good ol' pal's review. However, I must add, as a non-Chinese speaker I found the menu to be impossible to decipher. There are no picture of any of the dishes and even though the ladies behind the counter are super sweet, I found that communicating in English will turn into a miming session. So, if you go, make sure to bring someone who is at least a little competent in Chinese.